Wednesday 10 April 2013

Procrastination

This post started out a little bit like this:
Source
Moving on. Let me start by saying that I have always been a shit student. I hated any form of structure, or any authoritative presence so to speak. Order? Fuck that, I'll do it my way, I'll do it another day. Procrastination was synonymous with me.  It wasn't until I started working that I realized how important getting your shit together was.
Source
And so begins my point. Procrastination is a nasty son of a bitch everyone faces.  Some deal with it well, some don't. In uni, you really can't afford to procrastinate. Why? Let me paint you a picture.

It's week 10. It's the point where tests are scheduled for most of the units you're taking, assignments and projects are due. Work is piling up. Putting off things till the next week and the next and the next will eventually overwhelm you in the end. You have a test the same day your assignment is due and nothing is completed. And you wonder to yourself, "what the fuck did I do wrong?"

Here's how to avoid feeling like this:


Source

  1. Do the work as you go along - If you've been given an assignment that can be done in a few hours, you're best off doing it the day itself. It's like a mini revision and the information in your head is still fresh. You also don't go a whole week putting it off and rushing to get it done the day before submission.
  2. Pre read lecture notes so you understand what the hell is going on instead of going to lala land every time the tutor speaks. - This I found to be very important, it reduces the amount of time spent revising material and you find yourself less confused than when you first started out.
  3. Just do it. No seriously, it's that simple
  4. Create a work/play schedule for yourself.... AND STICK TO IT  - Schedules help most people function, if they stick to it. It's intrinsic for some but for other it's not. Having a schedule laid out visually could help some realise what needs to be done. Also, studies have shown that concentration levels for the average adolescent is about 45 minutes. Try having a full on 45 minute session, with a 15 minute break in between sessions to relax, regroup and refocus. You tend to be more productive breaking up your 3 hour study marathons like this, rather than procrastinating away, wasting 2 hours and only utilizing 1 hour. 
  5. Eliminate distractions during study hour..that means no Facebook even if it means that there's "scholarly articles" on. It really helps not having your phone beeping, music playing in the background(some people can study with music, I just can't. I get distracted), facebook, twitter, game updates etc. disrupting your train of thought.
There's a lot more that can be done but that's just the gist of it. I still struggle with getting things done, concentrating, focusing etc, but I've learned that you've got to suck it up and do it even if you don't like it, to get the results you want. And that's just life.


And I'll end with something most students are familiar with. :D

Source




xo,
Pamela

No comments:

Post a Comment